SmithAmundsen’s Women’s Attorney Group provides a platform of empowerment, encouragement and support to advance a pipeline of exceptional women within our firm.
The group’s core mission is the recruitment, retention, development and progression of our women lawyers and leaders.
We are dedicated to providing a positive and supportive environment for our women attorneys to empower all women to grow strong, sustainable legal practices and to become leaders within the firm and the legal community. To further our mission, we are committed to creating an inclusive culture that supports the growth and development of talented women lawyers. When our women succeed, we succeed as a firm.
The group works with the firm’s executive committee and individual office leadership to identify potential barriers for women’s successes, and then to create a plan to eliminate those barriers.
The group implements structural support for women, including the establishment of formal mentoring relationships that drive professional advancement, the organization of professional development training and opportunities, the hosting of internal networking events and the creation of educational programs that address issues affecting professional women.
OF OUR ATTORNEYS ARE FEMALE
OF OUR OWNERSHIP IS FEMALE
OF OUR PRACTICE LEADERSHIP IS FEMALE
OF OUR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE IS FEMALE
Cultivating a pipeline of exceptional leaders within the firm is the foundation of the firm’s ability to achieve growth and inclusion in the years ahead. As such, the firm annually commits significant resources to the development of 10 attorneys; at least 50% of whom are diverse.
SmithAmundsen’s cultural commitment to the personal and professional growth of our female attorneys is best evident in the firm’s mentorship program. A mentor is defined as an experienced and trusted adviser and that is exactly what the program aims to achieve as a connection between our mentors and mentees. Our mentors provide guidance and encouragement, an ear to listen, a brain to pick and a push in the right direction when needed. The mentorship program happens in three phases to account for where each of our firm members is on their personal journey. Mentors and mentees are matched so that each mentee sees themselves reflected in the journey of the mentor.
Inspiring Women Speaker Series
Taking inspiration from those closest to us allows us to forge our own way having been able to reflect upon the path of others. To that end, our Women’s Attorney Group comes together quarterly to informally hear from the women of SA, and throughout the legal field, as they describe their paths to success.
USLAW Women’s Connection
SmithAmundsen is a proud member of the USLAW Network and a strong supporter of the USLAW Women’s Connection. Our internal women’s group leaders participate in the USLAW program to bring back best practices to utilize throughout the firm.
The USLAW NETWORK Women’s Connection provides a forum for women lawyers to collaborate, develop and advance the status of women involved in the legal arena through the strengthening of personal and professional relationships. This group serves women clients of USLAW member firms who hail from a cross-section of industries and seek a networking environment that includes leading attorneys, businesswomen and leaders from around the country.
The USLAW Women’s Connection program mentors and educates women leaders to not only increase the visibility of women in USLAW, but also to provide opportunities for women to facilitate and strengthen business development. This extends beyond the attorneys to their clients.
- In 2021, the National Law Journal ranked SmithAmundsen #33 on its Women's Scorecard. The Women’s Scorecard is produced as part of the annual National Law Journals 500 firm headcount report and only the largest 350 firms are eligible for the Women’s Scorecard. SmithAmundsen was also previously ranked on the National Law Journal 's 2019 list.
- In 2019, Law360 named SmithAmundsen #4 on its Best Law Firms for Female Attorneys list among firms with 150-299 attorneys. SmithAmundsen was previously ranked #10 on Law360's 2018 list.
- In 2016 SmithAmundsen was ranked #11 on The American Lawyer’s “The Best Places for Women” list. The list includes the top 100 law firms on The National Law Journal’s annual survey, which ranks the tops law firms for women based on the number of total female attorneys and female partners at each firm.
- In 2016, Law360 named SmithAmundsen #32 on its Top 100 Law Firms for Female Attorneys list.
- In 2016, Above the Law gave SmithAmundsen an "A" in its Law Firm Gender Diversity Index.
- In 2015, Law360 named SmithAmundsen #15 on Top 100 Law Firms for Female Attorneys list. This ranking is based on the firm's female representation at the partner and nonpartner levels and its total number of female attorneys.
The people I work with are incredibly talented. The cooperation and support that I receive from my practice group leader and fellow attorneys is second to none. I really feel like I’ve found a home at SmithAmundsen. – Elizabeth Lum, St. Louis
|Christine Anto, co-chair||Anne Fishbeck, co-chair|
|Amber Bishop, member||Lisa Bridge, member|
|Carmel Cosgrave, member||Nicole Demik, member|
|Isabelle Faust, member|| |
Kelly Haab-Tallitsch, member
|Madeline Kelleher, member|| |
Elizabeth Lum, member
|Brittany Norman, member|| |
Suzannah Overholt, member
|Micha Schwab, member||Karen Tobin, member|
|Danessa Watkins, member|| |
Yuan Zhou, member