After 33 years as a trial lawyer, Tom Lyman still gets a thrill out of giving the closing argument. The first time he stepped into a courtroom was to observe a trial at Daley Center in Chicago. He knew immediately he wanted to be a lawyer. Since then there have been a number of memorable moments in court, including a $0 defense verdict for his client in a hand amputation case where the plaintiff asked for $3.4 million, as well as a settlement for $220,000 at the close of a trial in a toxic tort lead paint case where the plaintiff’s attorney asked the jury to award $44 million for the injuries. Tom still enjoys listening to (and learning from) the jury's comments after his trials about their thought process and the reasoning of their decisions.
Tom defends clients facing various litigation matters, such as personal injury and property damage in trucking accidents, construction accidents, construction defects, toxic torts, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), nursing homes and assisted living facilities, automobile litigation, product liability, professional liability, premises-related litigation and commercial litigation. He also handles cases involving discrimination, false arrest, and malicious prosecution. Tom manages the case from start to the conclusion, either by trial or a successful settlement.
In addition to his legal practice, Tom is involved with Gilda’s Club of Chicago, a national cancer support organization. He speaks to medical students at local hospitals on the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association; Illinois Defense Trial Counsel; Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS); American Bar Association; Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Member: Holy Cross Lawyers Association
- Co-Chair: SmithAmundsen’s Trial Evaluation Committee
- Instructor: SmithAmundsen Trial Academy and weekly training seminars for new SmithAmundsen attorneys
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Resources & Insights
- SmithAmundsen Transportation Alert,
- Negotiating Strategies for Claims ProfessionalSpeaking Engagement, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance ("CLM"),
- Stop the Great Resignation - Strategies for Reducing Law Firm TurnoverThomson Reuters, Seminar,
- "Doctor Depositions"Presented by Illinois Insitute For Continuing Legal Education (IILCE); Chicago, IL
- Stop the Great Resignation - Strategies for Reducing Law Firm TurnoverStop the Great Resignation - Strategies for Reducing Law Firm Turnover
- 35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.