Matt’s first client was his 4th grade classmate, who was accused of copying homework. After an afternoon of gathering evidence and cross examining other students, Matt proved his classmate’s innocence to the teacher and the rest of the class. That’s when he first became interested in trying cases. He has had a keen sense for litigation ever since.
As a member of the firm’s General Liability and Professional Liability Service Groups, Matt defends clients facing breach of contract, breach of warranty, malpractice, negligence, and discrimination claims. He assists clients in various industries, including construction, manufacturing, real estate, and health care.
Matt understands that litigation, or even the threat of litigation, causes extreme anxiety. One of his favorite aspects of the job is seeing that anxiety disappear as he implements a litigation strategy. He understands how litigation can potentially help a business achieve a desired goal, whether it’s to protect contractual rights or limit its exposure when facing a potential lawsuit.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Former Associate Editor: Valparaiso University Law Review
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2022
Resources & Insights
- 41 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202241 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- SmithAmundsen Promotes Nine Attorneys to PartnerSmithAmundsen Promotes Nine Attorneys to Partner
Congratulations to Luke Behnke, Amber Bishop, John Hayes, Matthew Kees, Elizabeth Lum, Paul Mackowski, Britta Sahlstrom, Jack Sanker & Justin Welply!