An insightful and persuasive advisor, Larry provides legal services to financial institutions of all sizes including commercial banks, thrifts, bank holding companies and public and private corporations. He routinely advises financial institutions with respect to dealing with bank regulatory agencies, responding to adverse regulatory examinations, and implementation of new regulations under the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Larry has served as counsel in numerous transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, hostile takeovers, issuer tender offers, and the formation of de novo financial institutions. He previously served as the regulatory compliance consultant to the Indiana Bankers Association and its member financial institutions.
As a member of the Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and FinTech group, Larry provides regulatory advice with respect to the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know-Your Customer policies and procedures. He also has experience advising public and private companies on all aspects of the fundraising process and compliance with the securities laws.
Additionally, Larry advises public and private companies on corporate governance issues and state and federal securities matters. His experience includes regulatory compliance, contract development and review, general business matters, preparation and review of securities filings and a broad range of transactions including numerous mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Indianapolis Bar Association; American Bar Association; Indiana Business Law Survey Commission, Subcommittee on restrictive covenants
- Former Board of Directors: Young Audiences of Indiana
- Selected to the Indiana Super Lawyers list: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Selected to the Indiana Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2011
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Banking & Finance Law: 2022
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Corporate Law: 2022
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Financial Services Regulation Law: 2022
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Mergers & Acquisitions Law: 2022
Resources & Insights
- Article, SmithAmundsen Financial Services Alert,
- SmithAmundsen's Financial Services Alert,
- Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, Webcast,
- Buying and Selling a Business: Start-to-Finish - Properly Prepare Your Client: Secrets From a Veteran M&A AttorneyNational Business Institute; Indianapolis, IN,
- Considerations in Raising Capital by Community BanksTri-State Banking and Capital Markets Forum; Fort Wayne, IN,
- Banking Regulation and ComplianceIndiana Continuing Legal Education Forum; Indianapolis, IN,
- SmithAmundsen and Dresner Corporate Services, Chicago, Seminar,
- Hoosier Banker Magazine, July/ August 2021
- COVID-19: Main Street Loan Facility and Main Street Expanded Loan Facility – Side By Side ComparisonSmithAmundsen Financial Services Alert,
- Labor & Employment Law Update,
- Firm News,
- Firm News,
- 4 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers and 2016 Indiana Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen,
- 41 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202241 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- Changes to Unclaimed Property Policies and Procedures Necessitated by adoption of the RUPAChanges to Unclaimed Property Policies and Procedures Necessitated by adoption of the RUPA
On April 29, 2021 the Governor of Indiana adopted a revised Unclaimed Property Act doing away with the previous Act in its entirety. Read more in Larry's Hoosier Banker article.
- 50 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202350 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2001
Webster University, M.A., 1992
Indiana University, B.S., 1989