As SmithAmundsen’s managing partner, Larry leads a collaborative team of attorneys and staff to deliver bottom line results and exceptional client service. As a founding member of the firm, Larry opened the firm’s doors in 1997 and has continued to play a key role in its growth from 50 lawyers to now more than 180. This broad institutional knowledge provides the critical foundation needed to lead the firm to future growth and continued evolution.
Larry has been instrumental in supporting the development of our Committee for Diversity and Inclusion and the firm’s women’s initiative whose missions are to recruit, mentor and retain a culturally rich, collaborative and inclusive working environment. As the leader of the firm’s executive committee, Larry ensures that the firm carries out its strategic vision to earn the trust of our growing client base, to attract new legal talent and to become trusted advisors for business leaders.
Larry has more than 30 years of experience litigating complex commercial issues in state and federal courts. He has an exceptional success rate in the courtroom, trying in excess of 100 cases to jury verdict in a wide variety of areas over the course of his career. Plaintiff’s attorneys have never been happy to meet Larry in the courtroom. Larry’s reputation has been shaped by many significant victories and he is well respected by his peers, staff and clients.
Membership & Involvement
- USLAW: Board of Directors (2018); Co-Chair, Managing Partners Subcommittee (2009-2016)
Firm Managing Partner
Member: SmithAmundsen Executive Committee; Defense Research Institute (DRI); Illinois Defense Counsel
Certified Mediator: Extensive training in mediation techniques and negotiation strategies at the Center for Conflict Resolution
Committee Member: Preparing Lawyers Subcommittee of IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law Strategic Planning Committee
Executive Committee and Board of Directors: Ravinia Green Country Club
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected by the Leading Lawyers Network as a "Leading Lawyer" in personal injury defense law
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2014, 2015, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Received O'Hagan Award: 2015
Resources & Insights
In the Media
- Media Mention,
- Larry Schechtman Mentioned in The Indiana Lawyer, "Disaster Plans Protect Attorneys, Files, Help Get Back To Normal"Media Mention,
- Media Mention,
- Media Mention, Summer 2014
- USLAW Network, Webcast, September 30, 2020 - October 9, 2020
- The Indiana Lawyer,
- Firm News,
- 35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Congratulations to all of our attorneys named to the 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2022 Illinois Rising Stars lists!
- 35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- USLAW Network Virtual Worldwide Retreat: 2021 and BeyondUSLAW Network Virtual Worldwide Retreat: 2021 and Beyond
SmithAmundsen joined with over 100 USLAW member law firms recently to participate in the USLAW Network Virtual Worldwide Retreat, a 10-day conference developed for general counsel, in-house counsel and all legal decision makers.
IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1983, high honors
Illinois State University, B.A., 1980, cum laude