Justin’s main objective is to resolve business disputes for his clients. Justin strives to help his clients see the big picture, weigh the risks and advantages of litigation, and come up with cost effective resolutions. His background in economics and finance provide him a way of evaluating creative resolutions most lawyers do not possess. Trial is sometimes inevitable and Justin’s clients rely on him to protect their business interests at trial.
He represents businesses, as well as their owners, representatives and employees, in state and federal courts in Missouri and Illinois, federal bankruptcy courts and arbitrations. Justin’s practice is diverse, but focuses on disputes involving breach of contract, fraud, errors and omissions, non-compete, fiduciary duty, preferences and fraudulent transfers, negligence and nonpayment issues. He also has significant experience with municipal bond issuances and enforcement and defenses of covenants and obligations surrounding same. He works with financial experts and forensic accountants to formulate economic damage models and calculations for his clients.
He practices is a wide variety of industries including, real estate and zoning, construction, financial services, and employment. In addition to representing business owners, Justin represents beneficiaries, trustees and fiduciaries in trust litigation in probate courts across Missouri. Justin also represents numerous tax deed purchasers and investors in efforts to obtain a quiet title post acquisition of collector deeds for taxes.
Justin also has substantial experience with equitable claims, including temporary, preliminary and permanent injunctions, specific performance, garnishment, judgment enforcement and mandamus.
Membership & Involvement
- Advisory Board Member: Our Little Haven
- Member: The Missouri Bar; Illinois Bar; American Bar Association; Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis; Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Selected to Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2022
Resources & Insights
- Firm News,
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly ,
- Members of SmithAmundsen's St. Louis Office Participate in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Walk
- SmithAmundsen, November 13, 2019
- SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included in the 2021 Missouri Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListSmithAmundsen Attorneys Included in the 2021 Missouri Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
We are pleased to announce the inclusion of Heather Bub on the 2021 Missouri Super Lawyers® list and Justin Welply on the 2021 Missouri Rising StarsSM List!
- 43 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202243 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- Justin Welply Named a Top Attorney by St. Louis Small Business MonthlyJustin Welply Named a Top Attorney by St. Louis Small Business Monthly
- SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on the 2020 Missouri Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListSmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on the 2020 Missouri Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of Heather Bub on the 2020 Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® list and Justin Welply on the 2020 Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars list!