James is himself a successful small business owner in St. Louis, so he knows first-hand the valuable contribution that a small business can have to a community and its economy. He knows that with the right counsel, the law can be a tool to help businesses achieve their goals of survival, growth and ultimately prosper. While most businesses only consult with attorneys in the wake of a pending lawsuit or emergent business issue, James works with his clients from the onset of the relationship taking time to meet and understand both the people and the business. His goal is to become a counselor and asset to the company.
As a member of the firm’s Business Litigation Service Group, James represents businesses of all sizes in legal and equitable matters. Most frequently, these matters involve contractual disputes, struggles over corporate control, real estate, insurance coverage, intellectual property, as well as TRO and injunction issues.
James serves as outside general counsel to businesses large and small across Missouri and Southern Illinois. He works closely with executive leadership to become a part of the team, coordinating all legal needs across corporate, transactional, litigation, employment, intellectual property, real estate and other disciplines. His clients include craft breweries; beer, wine and alcohol distributors and wholesalers; real estate developers; startup businesses; high net worth individuals and families; and manufacturers to name a few.
Specific to the beverage industry, James provides general project evaluation services and business counsel for startup craft breweries, wineries and distilleries. He handles the entire legal process of starting and growing a business in the beverage industry including: handling federal, state and local application and licensing, real property and site evaluation and negotiation, intellectual property protection, and strategic business guidance. James’s industry clients include manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers who transact business across the country.
Finally, James provides counsel to businesses on what is often one of the biggest influencers on the bottom line – real estate. He regularly handles property assemblage and acquisition, tax and governmental incentives for property redevelopment, community improvement district (CID) formation, LLC formation and governance, project modeling and evaluation for general and limited partners, development and redevelopment, post-development and sales, and the sale of property and/or unwinding in tax incentive developments.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Missouri Bar Association; Illinois Bar Association; Texas Bar Association; Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis; American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation; Defense Research Institute (DRI), Professional Liability Section; Saint Louis University High School Alumni Association; Friends of the Saint Louis University Liver Center
- Selected to Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2016
Resources & Insights
- Rockwell Beer Co.; St. Louis, MO,
- Spring Tax Time: A Quick Guide to Tax Sales in IndianaSpring Tax Time: A Quick Guide to Tax Sales in Indiana
Property taxes in Indiana are paid twice a year, with payments generally due on May 10 and November 10. However, the spring installment is most significant as it relates to the sale of land for unpaid taxes.
- Ransomware and Other Cyber-Related IssuesRansomware and Other Cyber-Related Issues
All companies have data that threat actors find attractive. No entity can think they are immune to a cyber attack.
- Separation Anxiety? Indiana Tax Sale Separates Ownership of Land and ImprovementsSeparation Anxiety? Indiana Tax Sale Separates Ownership of Land and Improvements
Can improvements to real estate, such as buildings, be owned separately from the land beneath them?
- Fair Labor Standards ActFair Labor Standards Act
Join Julie Proscia to learn about FLSA, its classifications,, and the pitfalls of noncompliance. The webcast will help employers check their own compliance, and avoid costly litigation.
Saint Mary’s University School of Law, J.D., 2006
Saint Louis University, B.S., 2003