Glen is the firm’s Chairman Emeritus. In 2022 Glen retired from the practice of law after a distinguished career spanning more than four decades as a commercial trial attorney with more than 100 verdicts as lead counsel to his credit. Glen continues to serve the firm as a consultant on matters specific to strategic growth initiatives and lateral partner recruiting.
As a firm founder, Glen was instrumental in the growth of the firm from 56 attorneys to more than 180 lawyers with significant operations in five Midwestern states. He served as chairman of the firm’s executive committee from 1997-2017 and went on to serve as its general counsel (2017-2018) and strategic growth officer (2018-2021).
In his continuing duties for the firm, Glen focuses on strategically expanding the scope of services offered to clients through lateral recruiting, working closely with the firm’s lawyers and management team. An incomparable leader and mentor, Glen’s past experience as a trusted advisor to some of the firm’s highest profile clients provides the backdrop for his understanding of the business of law.
Membership & Involvement
- Chair: SmithAmundsen Executive Committee, 1997-2017
- General Counsel: SmithAmundsen, 2016-2017
- Strategic Growth Officer: SmithAmundsen, 2017-2021
- Member Foundation Board of Directors: Avenues to Independence
- Member: Lawyers for Civil Justice (involvement with E-discovery and expert evidence issues impacting business litigation); International Association of Defense Counsel, 1999-present
- Defense Research Institute: Illinois State representative for Defense Research Institute to Lawyer’s for Civil Justice Committee on Expert Evidence, 2006-2008
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel: Immediate Past-President, 2006-2007; President, 2005-2006; Vice-President, 2004-2005; Second Vice-President, 2003-2004; Third Vice-President, 2002-2003; Board of Directors, 1994-2002; Treasurer, 2001-2002; Co-chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 1998-2000; Illinois Defense Counsel’s Professional Ethics Committee Chairperson, 1997-2000; Illinois Defense Counsel’s Defense Tactics Seminar Chairperson, 1990
- Vice-President: Dist. 34 (Antioch, IL.) School Board, 1991-1995
- Selected as top 125 IIT Chicago-Kent Alumni of Distinction
- Recipient of 2014 President’s Award from the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel for distinguished service to the organization
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Awarded Meritorious Service award by Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel for Chairmanship of Legislative Affairs Committee: 2007, 2008
Resources & Insights
In the Media
IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1980, summa cum laude
Augustana College, B.A., 1977, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa